This course is listed in Aachen carpediem as Cryptography, in Bonn Basis as MA-INF 1103 - Cryptography.
- Monday, 1230-1400, b-it 0.109.
- Thursday, 1415-1545, b-it 0.109(!). CHANGE, 31 January 2019 only: b-it 2.113.
- Tutorial: Monday 1415-1545, b-it U.105.
First meeting: Monday, 22 October 2018.
Pre-exam meeting: Thursday, 7 February 2019, 1415, room b-it 2.122.
Exam: Monday, 11 February 2019, 1500-1800, room b-it bit-max (0.109).
Post-exam meeting: Wednesday, 6 March 2019, 1400, room b-it 2.122.
Exam2 (repetitions only): Wednesday, 20 March 2019, 1200-1500, room b-it 0.107.
Post-exam2: Tuesday, 30 April 2019, 1300, room 2.122.
You find notes and exercises at sciebo until September 2019.
Remark: As a student of the University of Bonn or RWTH Aachen you can register an account and install a synchronization tool with sciebo, a university internal ownCloud.
Cryptography deals with methods for secure data transfer. In earlier times this was the domain of military and intelligence agencies, but today modern cryptography has grown into a key technology, enabling e-commerce and secure internet communications. Its many applications range from credit and debit cards, mobile phones, tv decoders, and electronic money to unforgeable electronic signatures under orders and contracts in the internet.
In the course, we discuss two of the current standard tools, namely AES and RSA. Further topics are key exchange, including group cryptography and discrete logarithm, digital signatures and identification, and cryptographic hash functions. We will consider these primitives in the modern light of reducible security (or provable security).
- Jonathan Katz & Yehuda Lindell (2015/2008). Introduction to Modern Cryptography, CRC Press. Webpage.
- Mike Rosulek (2017+). The Joy of Cryptography. Webpage including PDF.
- Mihir Bellare & Shafi Goldwasser (2001). Lecture Notes on Cryptography. PDF.
- Johannes A. Buchmann (2004). Introduction to Cryptography. Birkhäuser Verlag, 2nd edition. ISBN 0-387-21156-X (hardcover), 0-387-20756-2.
- Douglas R. Stinson (2005). Cryptography - Theory and Practice. Discrete Mathematics and its Applications. Chapman & Hall / CRC Press, Boca Raton FL, 3rd edition. ISBN 1584885084, 600pp. Book's page including errata. Parts of this text can be found online with GoogleBooks.
- Nigel Smart (2002), Cryptography: An Introduction. McGraw-Hill. ISBN 0-077-09987-7. This first edition is out of print, but a new edition is available online.
- Dan Boneh & Victor Shoup (2017). A Graduate Course in Applied Cryptography.
There is a long list of free online books about cryptography.
- James S. Kraft & Lawrence C. Washington (2014). An introduction to Number Theory with Cryptography.
- Steven Galbraith (2018). Mathematics of Public Key Cryptography. Webpage including PDF.
- Master in Media Informatics: Computer and Communication Technology, 8 ECTS credits.
- Master in Computer Science at University of Bonn: MA-INF 1103, 9 CP.
Students have to register this course with POS/BASIS.