Data science aims at making sense of big data. To that end various tools have to be understood for helping in analyzing the arising structures.
Often data comes as a collection of vectors with a large number of components. To understand their common structure is the first main objective of understanding the data. The geometry and the linear algebra behind them becomes relevant and enlightning. Yet, the intuition from low-dimensional space turns out to be often misleading. We need to be aware of the particular properties of high-dimensional spaces when working with such data. Fruitful methods for the analysis include singular vector decomposition from linear algebra and supervised and unsupervised machine learning. If time permits we also consider random graphs which are the second most used model for real world phenomena.
- Monday, 1230-1400, b-it bitmax (0.109).
- Thursday, 1415-1545, b-it bitmax (0.109).
- Tutorial: Monday, 1415-1545, b-it bitmax (0.109).
First meeting: Monday, 1 April 2019, 1230.
Pre-exam meeting: Wednesday, 24 July 2019, 1400-1600, room b-it max (0.109).
Exam: Monday, 29 July 2019, 1100-1400, room HS 1+2.
Post-exam meeting: Thursday, 1 August 2019, 1100-1200, room 2.122.
Exam2 (repetitions only): Monday, 9 September 2019, 1200-1500, room b-it max (0.109).
Post-exam2: Wednesday, 18 September 2019, 1000-1100, room 2.121.
You will find notes and exercises at sciebo until March 2020.
- Avrim Blum, John Hopcroft, and Ravindran Kannan (2018+). Foundations of Data Science. Present draft is on Hopcroft's page (look for "Book with...").
- Olivier Bousquet, Stéphane Boucheron & Gábor Lugosi (2004). Introduction to Statistical Learning Theory. In Bousquet, v. Luxburg & G. Rätsch (editors), Advanced Lectures in Machine Learning, Springer, pp. 169--207, 2004. Webpage, PDF.
- Marc Peter Deisenroth, A Aldo Faisal, and Cheng Soon Ong (2019). Mathematics for Machine Learning. Webpage with PDF.
- Master in Media Informatics:
8 ECTS credits.
Students have to register this course with RWTHonline.
- Master in Computer Science at University of Bonn: MA-INF [tba].
Students have to register for the exam to this course with POS/BASIS (see here).